Santiago Bastion is a part of the Melaka Fortress built by the Portuguese After conquering Melaka in 1511. The fortress was later fortified by the Dutch after they defeated the Portuguese in 1641. This extension can be seen by comparing the plans of the fort drawn during Portuguese rule with that drawn during Dutch rule. The fortress was finally destroyed by the British under the command of William Farquhar in 1807. Only the entrance known as Santiago Gate was saved due to the intervention of Sir Stamford Raffles and Lord Minto.

Santiago Bastion was discovered at the end of 2002 while excavation work was being carried out prior to the construction of Dataran Pahlawan. The discovery site is located along the embankment built by the British in the early 19th century using the laterite blocks from the ruins of Melaka. This area was the shoreline of the Straits of Melaka that was reclaimed in the 1930s for the construction of a playground. The semi-circular wall found here is considered to be part of the original fortress and it is known as Santiago Bastion. On its discovery, construction plans for Padang Pahlawan were modified in order to preserve this historical site.

Operation Hour : Open 24 hours.

Address : Santiago Bastion, Jalan Kota, Bandar Hilir, 75000 Melaka